Saturday, October 25, 2008

Marcia's Knee Replacement #2 Day 4

Sorry I missed day 3, but I'll catch you up.

Yesterday, I found her disconnected from tubing and wearing her own clothes. She had requested her walker from home. I arrived with it just before PT came in, and she put it to good use getting to the bathroom on her own.

If you know Marcia, you know she is not a "show-off", but then you might not have seen her with a brand new knee and PT audience. There was a demo on how to use the walker instead of the dreaded leg motion machine. This was followed by a loooooooooooong walk down to the nurses station and back-a sort of walking inservice. This was followed by, "NO, I don't want to get back in the bed! I have more sitting up exercises to do!"

Today was indeed, discharge day. I found her dressed in long pants-a feat unthinkible after the April surgery. We did the usual wait for wheelchair escort. Getting in the KIA was only slightly challenging compared with last time, and she sat in the front seat, since she already has 90 degrees with her left leg.

On arrival at the house, there was no parking just outside the bathroom door and calling on friends for assistance to get in. NOOOOOOOOO!!!! There was walker assisted walking from the car to the computer chair. Many of you know how long that walk is, and there is the carport step to navigate as well. No problem.

I had trapped Stella in the kitchen so Marcia could get seated for the reunion. What a happy reunion it was. Just one little rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr of complaint about her absence, and lots of twirling with joy.

After an email check, she headed for the bed. There was a bit of settling in, and a nanosecond later she was fast asleep. There's no place like home!

She is now up and about at will-kinda like she was about 10 days post surgery with the right knee. She gets the warp speed award of the day!

KG

No comments: