Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hackel and Hurl


Our friends Roy and Judy are back in Florida for a thaw from the NY winter. Roy is a fly-fisher like me and brought a fly tying kit for me to learn techniques from him while they are here. I never really thought about it before since I always was on the watch when we went to sporting goods stores and targeted the fly-fishing gear for ready made flies for my little box. Tying flies seemed way out of my league but was I ever wrong!















All the skills I captured in surgery all those years are well suited for this wonderful hobby. Half-hitches and wrapped-knots are easy to find in my memorized repertoire. Roy is a great teacher and offers tips for organizing the "recipe" for the fly we will tie for each session. Now I can looks at my old flies and deconstruct them in my mind so I can reconstruct them or rob an element that I want to use on a new fly. What fun!




He also fills me in on how to fish them in different places and that will be useful as I try each one out in the river... add a little weight here or use a strike sensor for the ones that will be under the water but near the bottom. He is out there most every day chasing down the bass and brim in his boat. His casts look smooth and elegant and I'm sure that he can bring those streamers and flies to life in the clear waters of the Rainbow.

Anyway, I'm trying out some "recipes" of my own in between classes. I've posted them here for you to ogle while go back to my hackle and hurl feathers, floss and vise or has it become a vice already? Learning how to photograph them better will be next as well.



mdt

No comments: