It's hot in Prague, but it is supposed to rain like crazy tonight and the temps should lower. I do have a fan in my little studio and the windows can be open for now. I am on the 3rd floor, which is the 4th floor in the US. The good news is that there is an elevator. It is clearly a recent innovation and like other apartment buildings in this block it has been attached to the back of the building. The bad news is that it sits in the hot sun all day and it is a closed box-a very hot little box today. I was glad to have it after several walks and laundry lugging, but it was a bit terrifying to think it might get stuck.
My little flat has a washing machine, but alas-not working. It lives by the toilet in the bathroom which is a marvel of engineering. A farkle of a centemeter in any of the fixtures would throw the whole thing off. There is a nice little square shower whose sliding doors meet on one of it's corners. I can just get through the door. The little sink has a lovely faucet that covers most of the bowl so that spitting is an art. The kitchen sink is a bit larger, so I use it for clothes washing. It is all new and modern and clean and fresh, so actually quite nice.
I did go to the laundrymat today and do the bulk of my laundry including drying jeans. I generally don't travel with jeans as they take so long to dry and forget washing them in the sink. However, it was really cold in Europe this summer, and my lightweight pants just weren't working for me. I have also dropped about 2 sizes, so when Susan's jeans fit I gratefully accepted her offer of them and I bought another pair in Alkmaar. I also asked Cathy to bring two pair of pants that I ordered, but I was a bit too optimistic about the size so they are not the most comfortable-particularly to wear to dinner. So, I now have an abundance of pants in various sizes-some for hot and some for cooler weather and I'm pretty sure I will lug them all home. At least the pants and the short sleeve shirts are clean for this hot weather and the capris stay up with the help of a belt.
So far I haven't tackled the city with the energy I had in May and June because I don't have that kind of energy anymore. Yesterday I traveled here and got some basics in the refrig and today I got Starbucks and soy milk (not very easy to get here) and I got the laundry done. It was enough. Tomorrow I will take my new transit pass and explore two museums via Metro. One museum will be Muncha and the other his decor at the Municipal Building. What with the rain and all, this seems a fine plan. It should clear up by afternoon, and if I have the pep I'll wander around to more Cerny statues. I saw King Wenceslas in his square when I went to Starbucks this morning and saw him again on Cerny's upside down horse in the Art Deco mini-mall near Wenceslas square.
My neighborhood offers architectural eye candy at every turn, so I turn often never walking the same route twice. Clearly the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century was a fine time around here. I have a collection of photos, but honestly I could photograph every other building-they are all something new and different. A new twist is the little castlelike turrets attached to the outside front of buildings. I haven't been to the actual castle and old town yet. I'm saving that for sunny Friday when I have another Segway ride scheduled. I'm hoping we make enough stops for me to photograph all these things.
There is a grocery nearby and it is in the basement of a wonderful building. The building is air conditioned and has escelators and a lift. However, the grocery is small and there is not so much variety. There were a few boxes of soya in some flavors but not unflavored. Since I'm off of cheese and dairy in general after my bout with a bug, my selections are limited. The sausage is quite good, there are plenty of lovely and fresh veggies and fruit, and I even found hummus. Otherwise it is dairy.
I followed Lonely Planet's recommendation of a Thai restaurant this evening even though it was a bit more of a walk than I wanted to do. Turns out the Thai has been replaced by Koren. I actually love the Bimimbap dish, so all was well. I think that the economy is unkind to some of these businesses.
It's interesting how the brain converts a few words into images and how the crossing of a border can make such a difference in some things. For instance, when the guy who got me settled into the apartment said that besides the grocery store there were quite a few Vietnamese groceries in the neighborhood in my mind I saw the Asian groceries in Brussels which are huge supermarkets full of all sorts of Asian food. Here the Vietnamese groceries are little hole in the wall Mom and Pop stores that sell a few fresh veggies and lots of alcohol and canned goods. The things you don't know till you know!
So, I'm well fed and getting some rest and thanks to the BBC and CNN I'm seeing lots of details on the transfer of power in Libya.
KG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment