Friday, August 24, 2012

Antwerp

Antwerp and Ghent are the closest of the cities I have targeted this trip, so I was able to take my time to get there today.  Getting out at the station was the first ahhh experience.  Wait till you see the photos.  I made a stop by the information office and the queue was well worth it as I got a great map and a day ticket for transport.  So, as soon as tram 11 came by, I was on it and headed for the Zurenborg neighborhood to oogle the Art Noveau houses.  I wasn't disappointed.  I oogled for quite some time and I was glad I went here first when my legs were fresh.   I even found a synagog that was pretty special and, since the train to Brussels passes by this neighborhood and since it is Friday night, I got to see the lights on inside on my way home. 

Besides fantastic houses there are many lovely cafe's, so after a good walk around I stopped for a delicious lunch.  My next goal was the fine arts museum.  I got great photos of the outside, but the inside is closed for the next 5 years.  The collections have been dispersed.  I was iterested in the Magrittes but apparently I had already seen them last year at the Magritte Museum in Brussels.  The other museum of interest to me was M HKA, the contemporary art museum and it was a stones throw away, so I was off.  I find that when there is something really interesting to see the legs will follow.  Jimmie Durham provided.  He made me smile and sometimes laugh out loud.  I have quite a file of photos to edit.

I must remember to tell the story of the lovely lady who helped me find my way.  I asked her at a tram station if this was the #8 toward town.  I was headed to the fine arts museum.  She tried to tell me that part of the way was under construction, but we had no common language.  As I was sitting on the #8 headed towards Museum, another woman approached me to explain in English that I needed to get off at National Bank and change trams as there is construction along the route of the #8.  She had been sent by the first lady.  The kindness of strangers-such a gift.


I had hoped to have a walk down the main canal after the contemporary art museum, but there wasn't much to see from the street and I was way too tired to investigate much.  I did find the Grotte Market and the metro to the train station. 

I'm thinking I'll go back to Ghent tomorrow.  I still have the center city to see and a design museum.  I'd love to get back to Antwerp as well, but we shall see if energy allows.

KG

No comments: