Thursday, December 20, 2007

Abuelos Campasinos

I'm sure the reason we were recommended to visit here is this section of the garden. Hilda's friend's lover is studying accupuncture and herbal medicine.
If you take the suspension bridge over the river and walk up the unpaved path through the forest, you will come to a little house surrounded by herbas and edible plants.





On this Saturday, there were people having some sort of celebration-lots of kids and cooking going on in the outdoor kitchen. Paper plates were being passed around, and the word Cheryl and I kept hearing was, "Iguana". Hard to tell if it was about what was on the plate, or the one she had just seen by the river. When we left, we could hear the people singing. Very lovely!




I only took a few photos here. There were lots of people hanging around, so it hardly seemed the time to photograph their party. I was also having a great time checking out all the herbs and exotic fruits and veggies.





No problem finding yautia in the grocery in PR. In this garden I found several varieties. When the sugar production failed, these root crops growing in the forest were what fed the people.





The fruit of this tree is used to make containers-bowls. There are some in the photo of the altar.
KG

No comments: