Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Welcome Back!












It's a cold snap, first frost in many areas and it made for a nice cool day outside for Kay. I just couldn't stay warm in my long sleeves and light jacket and was forced back inside to warm for a while. The late afternoon glof with Stella found us ending up helping Kay finish the mushroom log spore plug insertions. I wore a warmer jacket with hood this time.

I still heard a of trilling birds but didn't quite recognize the significance. I heard it again and pushed my hood back and finally said to Kay "It's the first sandhills!" We could hear them over head but didn't catch a glimpse of any of them. But they were definitely there and we have been waiting and looking for them for several weeks now.

They are a wonderful part of fall here as they will winter all around here and cruise the prairies and wet lands at will. Often we see them at the small ponds chasing bugs and such for breakfast. A large group of 20-30 sometime hang out at a large farm just north of here near Romeo . They seem a little late but we're glad they are here!

mdt

No comments: