Journey Back to Arklow
I had a great morning walk around Dublin with my camera after breakfast. We made our checkout time of noon at the Conrad and were content to sit in Pearce Station for about an hour waiting for our train. We struck up a conversation with a 75yo woman who was headed south for the weekend. She has a free rail pass (available at age 66) and travels as she pleases. She also got a British senior pass, but it came in the mail to her friend in the UK, and the friend won't send it on to her. She is figuring out ways to get another one, like telling the ticket seller that she lost hers and needs a new one. She has friends and family all over and just takes off... Sounds like the good life to me.
The train was once again crowded, and our new friend barely got a seat which she galantly offered to Marcia. Soon a family traveling with a baby offered Marcia a seat and eventually there was a lady getting off who directed me to her seat. Marcia and I switched with the idea that I would soon be photographing the coastal scenes. However, they weren't easy to get to from the inside seat, and soon I was chatting away with this family. They seem to use the Irish diaspora for their own travel. They went to 6 weddings in a row last year, and it took them to Chicago, Vegas, San Diego, San Francisco, Singapore and Hong Kong. They have been to Africa for a visit with a cousin, and all over Europe. The daughter (mother of the baby) worked in Munich until she got pregnant. She was a hospital cleaner, a coffee roaster and finally worked in an Irish bar. They were great fun, had that dry humor down, and love to chat. Arklow came up before I knew it.
It was good to be back in the slow lane again. We picked up our DVD's and some groceries and headed for Clone Strand. It was a beautiful sunny day. However, Marcia tells the weather, or at least whether it will rain or not, by the smell of manure on the fields. If there has just been manure spread, it will certainly rain in 24 hours. So, we got our dirty clothes in the wash asap. It has taken 24 hours for it to start, but it is here. The clothes are dry, but I must admit that I have found it more important to edit photos and blog than fold clothes, so quite a few are hanging on hangers on the living room (the reception) windows.
There is a great stir fry being woked up behind me, so I think I will sign off.
KG
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment