Friday, August 14, 2009

Wednesday in Arklow

Our mission today was to get our cell phones topped off, and, if possible, pick up a few chick flicks at the DVD rental store.
The T-Mobile top-up attempts were arduous and circular in nature. I tried to sign up for an online account and opted to just put in any address on the sign up page. Big Mistake! I also tried several PINS before noticing that a PIN had been assigned to me and was on my T-Mobile SIM top-up card. By then, the T-mobile web page was understandibly suspicious, so I gave up and headed for the car where Marcia was waiting. On the way it occurred to me that the guy who sold me the phone needed a local address, we were in Edinburgh at the time, and I gave him the Frederick Hotel. We decided that I would go back and hunt up the address and postal code and give it another try. However, there was no opening my new account without the correct PIN, and there was no creating a new account, as the system knew that I already had an account. I did however, get the phone number for topping up and the internet cafe guy didn't even charge me for the few minutes I used. I had just left Marcia with a 5pound bill for him for our first session-wrong currency, and all I had in euros was a 50 which I had gotten at the cash machine. He was gracious, and I assured him that we would be regular coustomers for awhile.
I was on my way back to the car when I noticed that there were a sizeable number of well armed soldiers and the local police surrounding several vehicles on my route. They were in front of the bank which is also in front of the tourist office where I am on daily chats with the woman in charge. It was she who gave the best directions for Dr. K, and yesterday gave me the most of his psychosocial. So, seeing that pedestrians were passing through without problem, I walked up to her and asked what was happening. She explained that they deliver several million euro to the bank every Wednesday, and since there have been roberies, some involving the IRA, the army now protects the delivery. They will go on to other towns nearby, so that Brinks van actually carries at least 15 million euro. Apparently the soldiers are friendly enough, but with one word answers only. You can pass through them, but don't put a hand on the van. If you do, you will get a warning, and if you don't heed, they will shoot-at the feet or legs, not to kill. We chatted about the dismal economy for awhile and about her great work as a tourist assister. She knows everybody in town and went to school with most of them. She got an Aussie couple out of two parking tickets because she knows the police chief and explained that they truly did not know that they had to pay, or how to pay for parking. I like her very much.
Once back at the car, we decided to try the option of calling the T-Mobile top up number. We had to use Marcia's phone, as mine was so low I couldn't even get the initial call through. So, I was well on my way to accomplishing my goal, which requires really listening to different accents on both ends of the line and figuring out which address to use -billing for the credit card or sign up for the phone and using words to clarify the letters of postal codes, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Marcia's phone went off-out of cyberchange. Nobody was laughing. Our only option for a phone would be Eithne's cell that needs a SIM card, and it was back in the house on Clone Strand.
I decided that I would like to rent a few DVD's so that we would have something to look forward to, so I headed down the street on foot to look for a DVD rental. On the way down, I asked a man where the DVD rental was, and he directed me to the right down the street saying it was a small store, and the larger store was on the Wexford Rd. I was off in pursuit of the one in town, and whilst in search of it I passed by the mobile phone and other electronic equipment store where the guy was very helpful to us the other day. The guy who runs it has earned my admiration as one of the bravest men in Arklow. He was not sure if it could be done, but he was willing to give it a try. It would not go through for E18, but it did for E24-E24x2. So, for about what we paid for the phones, we were able to top them off, ideally for the rest of our trip. I never found the little video store, but I did find the victuallier and picked up four little lamb steaks for E5. Two coups in 15 min. after a morning of frustration. We are like children.
Next we tackled the DVD rental. Marcia was able to park in the Tesco lot while I walked 5 min to the "big" store. This was a bit more vigorious than I anticipated, as I had to make the trip twice, having forgotten to bring my (recently useless) mobile in order to give them the number. Mid week rentals were a bargain at 4 for E12 for 4 days.
If I ever get a tatoo, it will be of a cell phone pad on my left forearm. I do better with letters than numbers, and I might be able to work out a word with my new 11 digit phone number, give or take a special area code depending on one's location. It would also work for many European cash machines that only show numbers.
So, we headed home with lamb, 4 DVD's and working mobiles. Marcia worked out the correct area code and combination of 0's so that we can be in touch, and made a kick butt dinner of lamb and potato salad. I have two more days of antibiotics and more energy daily. Marcia is looking at possible adventures involving rail travel. We are also hoping the sky clears for meteor showers tonight.
KG

No comments: