Sunday, July 19, 2009

Portsmouth

What an interesting day we had in Portsmouth yesterday! It was a 2 hour journey by train-one change of train.
Our goal was the museum of the Mary Rose. I'll tell you all about her in another blog.














Portsmouth is not only a working harbour, it houses several maritime museums and actual ships and the Spinaker. It would have been a very long day indeed had we gone to see all the sights. Our tickets are good for a year.


The Spanish seem to be getting their revenge for the Armada thing by sending their teenage children over for sightseeing. The harbour was thronged with them, as was the portrait gallery when we visited last week. After the Eye, we were hoping for smoother sailing elsewhere, but not to be.


The fish and chips at the local pub was quite good and a pot of tea warmed us up.



We also toured the HMS Warrior 1860. That will probably be a photo blog.












We got a harbour tour on a cat. I was astounded to see so many big British and American Naval ships together on one place.















Marcia waited while I did the Spinaker. I was a bit concerned, as heights are not my best thing these days, but it wasn't bad at all. I think that bars make all the difference. As long as I have something to hang onto, I have the illusion that I am grounded. I remember going to the observation deck of the World Trade Center and feeling really unsetteled by the sense of being really out there. None of that on the Spinaker though it is 38 London double decker busses high.






















Everything but the Outlet Mall was closing down as we were closing down ourselves, so we headed for the train. It also started to rain.


It was downright cold yesterday. I was glad I had chosen my turtleneck and layered with my Marmot on top. Several times I needed the hood to keep me warm.


We ate at the Thai restaurant before taking the bus home. It was quite good, but the service was not something to blog about. It is also on the second floor. I keep forgetting that the second floor is actually the 3rd floor for us. Everything starts on the ground floor and then goes up 1, 2, etc.

By the time we got home, we were whupped and had no trouble getting a good long warm nights sleep.

KG

No comments: