Our goal today was the Reading Museum. Because my back went into spasm just before we left the house, I was quite glad to have a limited agenda.
We have the bus route mostly down, but had a little extra walk due to a misunderstanding about our stop. The museum is located next to the town hall, so we were back in familiar territory near St Marys. Mark's and Spencers is right here as well, so all of our needs were easily met.
This is a great little museum with lots of interesting things. The highlight is the Bayeux tapestry-well, actually a copy but remarkable nonetheless. When you consider that a copy of an embroidery on linen is embroidered as well.
It tells the story, in Latin, of 1066 when William the Conquerer defeated the English and changed the course of their history and ours. A translation in English is offered below the tapistry. Though this event is well known to most, I am glad I read up on British history.
I also found the portrait of a local chap who was Archbishop of Cantebury in the time of Charles I, and lost his head at the Tower. Since my 12th great grandfather would have been Lord Mayor of London and keeper of the Tower at this time, I can only assume he had a hand in this beheading. Makes history more interesting to me.
Today my back is better. We have a plan for staying at home and planning day trips. In spite of bad weather predictions, it is gloriously sunny outside. We do have a trip to the supermarket planned-to pick up a Sunday Times. We might be able to pick up the Times at antoher place, but we don't know yet where that would be.
http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/galleries/index.htm
KG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment