Monday, July 05, 2010

Limhamn to Malmo South to Kobenhaven H

We are on a roll. This morning I drove to the pharmacy and wine buying store in Limhamn-those of you in New England will know them as State Stores. I was able to make my transactions without any hint of difficulty and make it back home again. Then we were off to the train station. It is in a little industrial park with a huge IKEA (remember, E-Kay-Ah). Mastered parking with a billet and went on to the next machine to get billets for the train.

English is a choice at the automated ticket machine, so I chose it. However, when I got to the part of putting in cash, the machine wouldn't take it. So I had to resort to VISA. I had done it correctly but didn't see that the ticket had fallen in the little bin at the bottom-I expected it to spit it out at me, so I did it all over again and ended up with two two person tickets to Kopenhagen (how many ways can you spell it?) on this day. This required a trip to the office and a stamp and I will have to go to the main train station in Malmo to be refunded. That would be tomorrow.

So, we were on the train and over the bridge and down the tunnel and arrived in Kobenhaven Central Station which just happens to be by the Tivoli and is sorta like Penn Station and Times Square and Coney Island all rolled into one. Our goal was the Dansk Design Museum where we spent most of the afternoon.

There was a great exhibit on the history of Danish design with many items that you have known and loved. Legos being just one of them. However, what captivated me was the film about design. I stayed a long time but still wasn't able to see all of it. Here is the essence: design should be simple and appear effortless and be functional. Most of our things are holdovers from the past. Example, the camera. It is still being made as though it needs to handle film. Actually, what it needs now is lens, and bigger is not necessarily better. Digital is better. Things need to be rethought. I also enjoyed the interview with the guy who designed the first laptop. What a huge clunky thing with a screen about 3inX4in. After he had produced it and was using it, he realised that when one used it, the attention was all on the screen-that one essentially fell into another world and that the outside was not so much the point. Then came the interview with the Apple guy showing what goes into making the aluminum piece that holds the keyboard.

So, I can hardly wait to see what comes next!

We walked down to one of the Tivoli entrances, and I realized that my mid afternoon meal plan was scuttled because we would have to buy tickets to Tivoli in order to get to Ketchup (a restaurant) and order the Ida Davidsen open faced Danish sandwiches I was after. So, we opted for the Hans Christain Anderson Bakeri and had some fabulous sandwiches and decided on the Danish after all. We were not disappointed. We ended up eating our Danish in the square in front of Town hall. I'll show you the photos.

Good day it was. Tomorrow we will head for Malmo to check out more housewares design in a couple of stores and get my ticket refunded.

Also, big meals of the day (my body is very confused about when to eat, so it just requests food all the time). I tried the pickled herring (leftovers from our host's midsommer celebration) in two forms-one with onions and peppercorns and pickling stuff -beats the stuff in a jar at Publix all to hell. Then the pickled herring in sour cream and mustard and dill. Another taste, but still excellent. I will start celebrating midsummer/midsommer every year. I had it with the bowling ball brod. It weighs a ton, so one or two pieces is quite enough for anyone. I spread it with soft cheese mixed with garlic and onion. Excellent. I'm having fresh cherries for dessert.

KG

No comments: