Monday, July 05, 2010

NO Fireworks

And for this we are grateful. It was a peaceful 4th for us. We had our hot dogs and potato salad and a Heini.

I was able to make it to the grocery and back with ease and grace. Helene, our grocery store checkout person, recognized me and remembered that we had left the body gel by mistake and said that she had taken it to the office and would go and get it. Helene is my new best friend at Malmborgs.

Getting milk has been something of a challenge. If you can imagine being illiterate and approaching your dairy cooler without knowing the color code you can get some idea of what we face. I had apparently bought lactose free keifer on our first visit. However, just ask anyone and they respond in English and help you break the code-otherwise they mind their own business. They are actually enthusiastic about helping in a proper "stick to the facts" Swedish way, so I got several code breaker hints from a man who knew nothing about laktosfri, but was very helpful about afil (keifer). A woman approached after he left and filled me in on the laktosfri section where I found my laktosfri Mellanmj. It is medium milk meaning 1.5%. I would love to have 3%, but could not find it and had spent enough of my time at the dairy aisle. On to the mayonaise for Marcia. I love the toothpaste dispensers of mayonaise products, but they all seemed to be mixed with dill or garlic, so when I spotted the perfect little jar of Hellmans, I just opted to bring out the best. We have imported (familiar) mayonaise.

After our delicious 4th of July lunch we headed out for an adventure in driving-Sunday driving-carpe diem. Most of our route is 40k speed zone, so it was perfect for us. We went down to Malmo. It is a University town on the southwest coast. It just seems small and quaint, and that might explain why it is even included in the little Lonely Planet Copenhagen guide book. So, we have stumbled into a "must do" sidetrip. There are a couple of designer housegoods stores that I want to check out later in the week. Marcia's knees are swollen, so walking was not a good idea and the stores I would like to visit are closed on Monday, so that will wait a day or two. I'll take my camera.

There are several places we have targeted to visit while we are here-The Viking Ship Museum just west of Copenhagen looks really fun. There are several museums and restaurants in Copenhagen that are must dos. We must find our way to the train station-goal for today. Also the state store for wine-perhaps it is the nation store here.

On the homefront, Marcia has figured out how to use the Myth TV. She will have to explain it. She is quite enthusiastic about it. It involves Linux Umbutu and you get movies on TV for free. We caught the tale end of Peter Pan and watched a couple of really bad American movies. They are subtitled in Swedish, but the sound is English, so once you get over reading the subtitles you are fine. If the movie is really bad, like Bunny House, you can amuse yourself by trying to spot the equivalent Swedish words in the subtitles.

Skype is fun too. We talked to two sisters via Skype yesterday-very fun. Just as well that the Thompsons have the early riser gene. We'll check in on Aunt Alva soon. If you opt for Skype, you can Skype us an invitation and we will both be able to see when each of us is online and take the opportunity to have a Skype call if we wish.

KG

No comments: