Monday, May 28, 2012

Packing Day

Here is the difference between the USA and Europe, or perhaps 1st class and plebian air-46kilo.  British Air business class gives us 3 suitcases each at 23 kilo for check-in.  Goddess knows what they will allow you to bring on the plane.  In coach in California we watched as people wheeled in the limit along with a backpack rivaling our new Swiss Army megapacks on their backs.  Even the children were loaded like pack animals.  However, once we board easy jet in Gatwick, we have 43 (precious) kilo check-in between us.  Carry on is limited to one, and I hope my Swiss Army backpack meets cirteria. 

So, grumpy day today.  Marcia realized that her Debenhams big black did not go to Europe last year because it won't fit through the train aisles.  Back to Swiss Army duffel.  To her credit, she is under 20kilo in the SA duffel.  My Heys bottom heavy weighs in at 21.5 kilo.  Any other "need" will have to go into the SA duffel.  I just put in a container of "Shout" and Goddess knows what else will come to mind. 

I'm looking for ways to entertain myself so I'm not tempted to stuff the luggage.  I'm imagining an alarm on my suitcase that says, "Step away from the luggage!  Put your hands in the air and step away from the luggage!" 

I'm really wondering why my blackberry backup battery has gone to California to be with my eyeglasses.  It's not a thing I use everyday, but it doesn't seem to be in my usual hiding places.  And those glasses were my favorite.  I called the optitian to get a new pair underway-uaually the thing that prompts a find-but no luck so far.  Knock wood the optician (in Gainesville) gets them ready by Friday when I have the last visit with the ENT (in Gainesville) before leaving on Saturday.  In the meantime, I have my spare pair.

In addition to packing the suitcases I have been preparing the electronic back-ups.  We scan our important documents and cards and encrypt with passwords.  This can be a 1/2 day affair as it is a multi-step process and involves clearing important information from the computer once it is done.  I make a file of all of our reservations as well.  So, this morning's conversation across the desk involved requests for this and that reservation made in February and I don't seem to have this or that-do you???.  All very nerve wracking.

Wallgreens is doing their part in fast fill of my Rx.  Tomorrow I get to beg my health insurance company for a two month supply of meds for my vacation.  Luckily I only need 2 Rx, and only one of them is critical.  Knock wood.  Did I mention that I pay them megabucks for the right to beg???  That's all I'll say unless provoked.

We are in a tropical storm, but you wouldn't know it until 2 seconds ago.  We have watched in eager anticipation as the weather channel hyped the storm's potential and we got a few drops and a breeze.  We are in desperate need of rain.  The boat launch at the KP Hole has a big sign that the water is so low that most boats cannot lauch.  We actually find this to be a plus on a busy holiday weekend, and the lack of mosuitoes is an additional bonus, but the drought is no laughing matter.  We need several days of soaking rain.  So far the forecast for Saturday (our flight out of Tampa day) is for 30% chance of rain and isolated thunderstorms. Good for us, but not so much for those who stay.  We'll be watching the weather online for the storms that we need.

Stella is recouperating from a head bite.  Uncle Dennis was so mortified and teary that Marcia spent an hour with him on Friday.  Seems that Stella and Fritz the German Shephard got along well until Stella finished her dinner first and headed for the doggie door which was just more close to Fritz's dinner than Fritz could handle, hence the bite on the head.  Uncle Dennis took her to the vet and got her all stapled up.  As is the way of dogs, she is totally in the present and seems to have totally forgotten her wound except that she really appreciates a good scratch on the shaved part every once in awhile.  She also gets, in her world view, extra treats as Marcia has an effective delivery system for her meds.  Otherwise, she remains her bossy self.  Cathy has agreed to do the follow up vet appointment while we are gone next week.  I told Stella today that Donna would be coming to stay with her next week.  She barked quite a bit and went to the front porch in anticipation of a good frisbee toss.  Ever in the present!  Never any luggage problems!

KG



No comments: