This is the remains of a volcano in Medford. I'll try to explain it, and let our geologist in residence make corrections if necessary. Volcanoes throw up and regurgutate. The lava that collects on the inside of the volcano cools more slowly than that on the outside, and is therefore tempered, like steel, and very strong. Often, it is what is left after everything else wears away. We saw it on the Phantom Ship at Crater Lake, and here it is again out in the middle of this field.
This is rugged country as evidenced in the names given places. We were often amused by the names of mundane things preceeded by "Rogue". Rogue Parks and Recreation. Rogue Restaurant. Rogue Valley Chior. Rogue Christain Academy. What are those children thinking??? I wonder if there might be a Rogue Unitarian Church?? Or, Savage Rapids Baptist??? Total immersian takes on a whole new meaning...

This was another 6% incline/decline day in the RV. I'm happy to report that the brakes work well.
Since I stream Oregon Public Radio while at the computer at home, all of these names are quite familiar, but now they have visual images as well.
We entered Portland at rush hour on Friday. Marcia declaired that we would henceforth travel on Saturdays. (We have already broken that delcaration making plans to get to Seattle on a Monday-ideally not at rush hour.) I tuned in OPB and heard the familiar voice of Beth Hyams telling us about the traffic that we were experiencing (and that there was basically no hope for relief for quite some time). You may note that there are quite a few license plates on the plate blog. When you are stuck in traffic, there is plenty of opportunity. I'm also now using the telephoto lens for traveling, so the field is more narrow, but I can pick them plates off at quite a distance!
We are out on I-84 in Fairview and have already found Wild Oats and have marked Trader Joe's on the map. Yesterday we were drawn like a magnet to Powell's Books. However, we stopped by the market under the Burnside Bridge first. I, for one, cannot wait to sample Portland's cusine. We will happily take recommendations!

Mt Hood.
KG
No comments:
Post a Comment