Sunday, May 18, 2008

First of the Garden Goodies-OMGess Squash Blossoms

We got 5 zucchini blossoms day before yesterday, and I only took about 6 today. Marcia made a ricotta filling and fried them with a corn meal batter. She made foccacia and her oven baked rapinni and we dined! If the rest of the garden follows suit, we are in for a gustatorially fine summer!

She did a bit more sitting in prep today, but pushed the limits-perhaps a tad less than Friday night.

There were little bits of grape tomato onion olive in the little frying pan when I went to clean up. I just couldn't resist a little crust of foccacia to clean it up with. It was that good!

It is now the accepted pattern that Stella will goldbrick on the evening Glof. I will hot rod. The Glof gets 10mph tops, so we are rounding the curves at probably 8mph and enjoying the squirrels scattering. She is out in the front yard now, barking at them-"Don't even come near the fence, cause I'm bad! and fast! " Since the squirrels can do 15mph, I am almost certain, they just laugh.

Every Friday, I fill three of the smaller Droll Yankee feeders for the front yard, and the big feeder just beyond the kitchen window. By Saturday, the fartherest feeder from the fence is empty, and the second fartherest is half full. By Sunday morning, all three are empty. The birds know to wait till the squirrels are having their siesta or have gone to bed for the night. The big feeder in the back yard might have feed the whole week. It is the Droll Yankee Flipper, so only the finest acrobat squirrels get the grub. I am thinking that if times get really hard, I have a shotgun and shells, and I know those squirrels have dined on the deluxe seed.

There is one little fig on the biggest fig tree. There are several very small oranges on the Satsuma tree. There are several little tiny tomatoes. No sign of basil. The speckled butter beans are making their way up the bamboo poles I provided. The corn is trying, but cannot rise high enough to serve as support for the beans.

Stella and I sing as we Glof. "It ain't gonna rain no more, no more...." It tried very hard to rain today, but not even a drop fell. We get promises from the Weather Channel every day, but the clouds pass us by. Tropical storms are looking good, and we even think that hurricanes might not be too bad-maybe just a little hurricane. Yesterday, I spotted three birds sitting on the log borders of the raised beds and cavorting in the sprinkler spray.

KG

No comments: