Szechenyi-the one in the City Park. We studied my newest map and plotted two ways to get there. I was hoping to get the trolley because it would drop us off right at the front door. However, we couldn't find the trolley stop-we actually thought it was a bus, so the lack of electric lines did not cue us in. Plan 2, the Metro. Actually, the metro takes us to within a short walk and there are plenty of benches for rests, so we did fine with the metro, and it was much faster.
I was hopeful of getting a transit map. I even have my request in writing on a little slip of paper I keep in my travel vest pocket. However, these maps must be a relic of the past, as the ticket persons just say "nem". The map we have seems comprehensive enough-little arrows for which way the vehicle goes, but it's hard to plot the entire route.
Anyway, we found the baths and managed the system and went, "ahhhhhhhhh!" The Szechenyi has three pools outside-swimsuits required and is always open to both sexes. We made our way to the 38C pool-the one where the old guys play chess in the water. There is a chess board on one of the pool entrances, and always a small crowd of men around. They bring their own pieces in little plastic bags or boxes.
The middle pool seems to be the lap pool, and there were plenty of dedicated swimmers. We dubbed it the Cheryl LaMay pool.
I enjoyed seeing the faces of people when they get in the pool. All the stress and strain goes out and there is such joy in relaxation. All ages, all sizes, not a see and be seen place-just about relaxing and treating the body. I particularly enjoyed seeing a kid with CP being placed in the pool by his father. Coming out of the changing house, he started laughing and clapping. Once in the pool, that same look of total body calm came over his face. His parents and perhaps an uncle all enjoyed turns slowly pulling him through the water. We also watched new parents with their little few months old baby girl. I figure it all seemed just right to her, as she had recently lived in water about this same temp.
It sure seemed right to us. After a good soak, we got fine hot showers and washed our hair letting hot water flow. Inexpensive and easy, and we will be doing this again. I'm thinking we should do the Gellert next. It is an art deco palace bath. Much hotter though. 44C!!!
The best thing, besides the baths yesterday, was the repair of the hot water heater. Cousin Loli came and fixed it at about 10pm. What a nice man. I'm pretty sure he doesn't fix things for a living, as he was wearing business clothes. Perhaps he was out for a night on the town?? Anyway, he was a charming and lovely talented man and we are quite grateful to him. His number is on the cell phone Kristina has left for us, but I'm not sure what we would say if we called him.
So, this morning we enjoyed hot water at home. Marcia celebrated by washing clothes as well. I did go ransom our laundry yesterday, and it is lovely-ironed jeans. However, the weather has turned perfect and warm, so we will be wearing lighter, easy to wash and quick to dry pants and the laundry won't be a regular thing.
Just a few "housekeeping" notes here before I go home to get the photo card reader. You can check out lots of these places we visit on the web. Wasabi is www.wasabi.hu. (I'm pretty sure they don't show the sink though.) We will add web addresses when we can. I didn't bring a comprehensive list of everyones email, so feel free to email me-I respond to them all and will have the address if there is a particular thing I need your email for.
Saturday, May 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment