Julia (Yulia) picked us up on Sunday to go to her house for Sunday Dinner. Julia lives with her mother, Erzebet (Elizabeth), and mother's partner, Janos (Yanos or John) and her lovely little dog whose name sounds something like, Whatsit. Stella would love this little dog who looks like a sheep!We loved Erzebet and Janos and, of course we already loved Julia, but we also love her chicken paprikash and spetzel, (which has another name in Hungary). Our cucumber sour cream salad was Greek-inspired by Erzebet and Janos's trip to Greece. Julia encouraged us to buy a particular cookbook, and I am sure all Second Saturday people would encourage us to do so as well. I am headed for the bookstore hoping for an English copy right after blogging. 
After a yummy lunch, Julia took us to a little villiage established by Slovaks many years ago. Szentendre (St. Andrew) was quite charming-a little villiage on the Danube (Duna). Here we sampled langos-a fried potato dough covered with garlic, sour cream, grated cheese, or any combination of the three. Quite yummy and rib sticking treat. It might just show up at Sec Sat as well. 

Here is the little village church. We have seen quite a few of these squashed onion domes. On top of the house next door was a blue angel. I'd like to hear more about this angel. If I do, I will pass it on to you. If anyone has the story to tell, please include it in the comments.
Julia also took us to the National Museum, where we hope to return. It was really easy by car, but our next trip must be (according to me) via the funicular. We will likely spend a day here. I'll show you some of the views you get of Pest from here. 

The photo on the left is of Parliament and the Danube. On the right is the Danube, cruise boats and St. Istivan's Basicillica. The Danube looks blue from here, but up close it is a little more green/brown looking. Yesterday, I got a shot of a pile of trash floating downriver. Perhaps the Danube, like so many other rivers, is singing the blues of the 21st century. Still, it is beautiful and impressive.
Tomorrow we will get another look at it-up close all the way to Vienna-more tales to come.
KG
No comments:
Post a Comment