Thursday, July 05, 2012

Castle News

I hardly rained at all today.  It spit on us once but that hardly counts.  Additionally, I had to take out my sunglasses twice today. 

After a late breakfast for me and easing into the morning, we took the Graham bus into town.  I was a bit peaved at Graham today as he had us get off a stop early even when I said we were going to Debenhams.  At Debenhams we met the city bus people and began to learn that the bus system is way too complicated for us.  There is a website, but the 5 and 5A routes are not listed and it's just very complicated.  Nevertheless, we got bus passes for a week and made our way to the Mayflower Steps.

It's not a big production number, but there are several plaques about the Mayflower and other ships that have sailed from this spot.  Several of them went to Australia from Plymouth.  Since it is a tourist area, they have located the tourist information office there.  The information lady gave us several tips including how to get to the train station.  The thing is that we will have to take the Graham bus to the Royal Parade where all the busses stop, and then change for a bus that takes us to a stop near the train station and we walk a few blocks to the station.  We are thinking that when Pat and Carol get here and we take off for Cornwall it will be much simpler to just call a taxi and split the fare 4 ways.  Even though we have a bus pass, we have to pay for the Graham bus which is owned by another company.  I blame this all on Margaret Thatcher. 

So, we had a lovely lunch near the Mayflower Steps.  I ordered moules and frits traditionale.  They were nothing like French moules.  Garlic has never gone near them.  The mussels themselves were fine but the broth was rather insipid.  Marcia got fish and chips, but what arrived was a ham steak with fried egg on top.  It went back and the breaded fish atop very chunky potato wedges soon arrived.  The fish was basically good, and I do mean basic.  There was a bit of saffron in the breading, but it was a bit greasy and other than saffron there was not much spice to it.  They say that British cuisene is changing, but I suspect the taste buds of the people, and we are talking about my cousins here, makes them crave bland.  The mint in Marcias mashed peas does not count.  To tell you the truth, even the Ganges restaurant where I had lunch earlier in the week had de spiced the food to some extent.  I remember tasting cardoman in the rice and feeling practically exhilarated.  Luckily we have a kitchen and Marcia knows how to spice. 

We have become hooked on the par baked baguettes that come in a package of two maybe 15 inches long.  Tonight we had them with our favorite Cheddar and Minestrone soup that was quite good.  Last night we had a Thai soup to which Marcia added leftover roti chicken and fresh basil and it was kick butt.  The galanga had just enough burn in it to soothe our aching throats.

Speaking of health, we are (do I dare say it??) pretty much back.  I hear Marcia hack occasionally and we are both tired and the damp cold has penetrated to our arthritic joints.  I am oh so thankful to Dr. P for the tramadol that fixes everything when we get home.  Tramadol and a power nap and I am good to go. 

I made an appointment to get my hair cut tomorrow.  It is across the street from Morrisons, so plan A is to take the car and park in the Morrison's lot and then do some shopping afterward.  Wish me luck.

KG

No comments: